Thursday, October 31, 2013

Where in the world is Sharjah?

I pose my question in this post's title because the near universal response from people is bewilderment when I tell them I will be traveling to the Sharjah International Book Fair.  When I say Sharjah, they nod knowingly, then stop themselves and look at me with a blank expression, finally saying: Where?  

This will be my 5th trip to Sharjah, it is in the UAE - very close to Dubai, only about 50-60 miles from Abu Dhabi.   Sharjah International Book Fair is a ten-day international book fair held annually. The Fair started in 1982 and is the largest and most important book fair in the Middle East, getting 20,000+ visitors a day.  My friend Ahmed Al-Amri is the Fair Director and continues to innovate and expand the program and opportunities for publishing professionals, expanding beyond the traditional role a public book fair serves in any modern and literate culture. 

I look forward to attending and have a full schedule.  BEA will post info from Sharjah via the BEA social channels next week share interesting of the happenings from the fair.  Below is a sampling of the professional program.


Sharjah International Book Fair Events 

  • Education resources: changes and challenges in a digital world
  • Challenge's for publishing after the Arab spring 
  • Maximising your IP in a digital world 
  • Translation obstacles 
  • Challenges for Global Distribution 
  • Creative Ways of tackling Book Piracy in the Arab World: Perspectives from the UAE, US, and UK



No comments:

Post a Comment